How to care for garage floor sealing
If you’ve made the smart investment of sealing your garage floor, then you’ll want to take the appropriate actions to ensure that it lasts over the years. Now, top-of-the-line 100% solids epoxy coatings that are applied to home and industrial garage floors alike, will last over a decade or more. However, two-part solvent-based coatings won’t last as long and will require reapplication within years. Regardless, how do you extend the life of your coatings? Below you’ll discover that you can get 10 to 20 years out of an original coating, and how to maintain your epoxy coating over these years.
How long does garage sealing last?
First of all, how long can you expect your garage sealing to last, if you take proper care of it? If you apply a Do-It-Yourself epoxy coating from a big box store to your floor, there is a high risk that you’ll end up have to refinishing your floors in one to three years due to improper preparation or application. When you hire a professional to apply industry grade, professional coating to your garage floor, the seal will last anywhere from 10 to 20 years with the original coating. It’s well worth the initial investment, and will save you time and money over the long run.
How to clean and maintain your epoxy coating
Here’s the great news about investing in an epoxy garage flooring coating. The care and maintenance afterward are minimal and not at all difficult. That means your garage floor will remain visually attractive and welcoming to guests for years to come. Compare that to most other garages that have unsightly stains, concrete wear and tear, dusting and other issues, and you’ll realize that a garage can be a place where you, your employees, and your customers can enjoy walking into every day.
So, once your sealant has been applied and it completely cured, you’ll be able to bring your equipment and vehicles back inside. In order to prevent losing the fantastic gloss of your new floor, you’ll want to follow the cleaning and maintenance tips below.
- Buy and have a dust mop on hand-Since dust and dirt will not stick to your floor, you can get away with using a dust mop once or twice a week to keep the floor clean. You can opt for a bristled push broom if your floor has a more aggressive anti-slip additive.
- For minor spills or vehicle drippings-Due to the application of the sealant, for minor spills and drips on your garage floor, you can simply wipe them up with a paper towel or some other soft cloth or towel.
- For heavy cleaning-In order to get the most out of your garage floor sealant, it’s recommended to give it a good cleaning every three to four months (depending on how much traffic and use the floor is seeing). Before getting serious with a cleaning solution, you’ll want to dust mop and clear away any loose debris. Then, you simply need to mix half a cup (4 ounces) of ammonia per gallon of hot water. This is the best way to remove any soiling, including any salt residue during winter.
- Prevent dents with pieces of plywood-You can use pieces of half inch plywood under heavy objects, jack stands, or equipment to prevent dents in your epoxy coating.
- Avoid cleaners with acids-Do not use any cleaners that contain acids, such as vinegar or citrus. These will slowly degloss the finish of your epoxy floor coating. It’s best to also avoid any soap-based cleaner as well, as these leave ugly streak marks and residue on the floor and can make the floor slippery when it gets wet
Overall, there’s very little maintenance you have to do once you’ve applied a garage floor sealant. And that’s one of the beautiful things about it. With very little maintenance, slip and fall prevention and a professional, clean appearance, a professionally installed garage floor sealant is a no-brainer for both homeowners and business owners.
Are you looking for a great deal on a professional garage floor sealer?
Even normal Do-It-Yourselfers tend to leave the job of garage floor sealers to the professionals. That’s because, with the proper preparation and application of an industrial grade floor sealer, you’re guaranteed to get 10 to 20 years out of your garage floor without having to waste time and further money on re-applying epoxy coatings.
If you live in Indianapolis or the surrounding areas, get in touch with the professionals at Gatorguard Of Indiana for unsurpassed customer service and powerful warranties. Call (317-429-0002 to speak with our team about protecting your garage floor for years to come.